Considering the Move

Zach and I have lived in Madison for four and a half years now, and I am beginning to realize this season of our life is waning. I always knew we wouldn't be here for all that long, but now that we only have one or two more years before we move, my perspective is shifting.

It's fun for us to consider where we might end up, the exotic or mundane locations that could be our next home. But more than that, I think about the things I know I'm going to miss about Madison.

I'm going to miss our little apartment. I think it's probably almost the fewest square feet a two-bedroom apartment can be, and it can feel constraining at times, but more often it feels cozy. I love having a space that forces me to keep my life simple, to keep the superfluous objects and excessive purchases to a minimum. I love how short the walk is from the bedroom to the bathroom, the kitchen to the living room, the front door to the far corner of Ramona's room. Everything is close. Everything is always within reach.

I love the Willy Street Co-op, but I won't miss it. I wish I had enough money to shop there, but as it is, it's just torturing me.

I'm going to miss our garden. If we can't find a place near a community garden when we move, it's going to be very sad.

I'm going to miss being so close to my parents. My mom comes up many weeks to visit with me and Ramona for a day, and it's easy for us to head down to their place for a Sunday afternoon.

I'm not going to miss the restaurants. I still miss the restaurants from St. Paul--especially Good Earth, Black Sea, Bascali's Brick Oven, Mirror of Korea, Izzy's Ice Cream (okay, Chocolate Shoppe here in Madison is good, too), Java Train, Pop! (gone now, so sad).......of course, we could end up in some small college town that only has three pizza places and a McDonald's, and then I might miss the Madison restaurants.

I'm going to miss the bike paths, especially the lakeshore path.

I'm going to miss the free 80 bus.

And if we move out of the Midwest, I know I'm going to miss the weather. I love winter, and also spring and fall and summer. I love having the shift in temperature, colors, and activities. I love layering and snuggling when it's cold, and I love biking and playing outside with Ramona when it's hot.

But probably whatever it is that I will really miss is a mystery to me now, and it's probably something I completely take for granted.

Labels: , , , , , ,